Wednesday, February 5, 2020

The Case For Jamie by Brittany Cavallaro

I am so thankful that "The Case for Jamie" (Charlotte Holmes, #3) by Brittany Cavallaro was a vast improvement over book two, "The Last of August." This story takes place nearly a year after the events in book two, where we learn that Jamie and Charlotte are no longer talking to each other, let alone on the same continent. Despite being apart, their story is not over as the mystery begins to unravel the enigma that is the Holmes', Watson's, and Moriarty's. The threat of Jamie's life to get to Charlotte is elevating at a great pace.

I'm not a huge fan of flashbacks; however, the ones that were used here were necessary as they filled in the gaps of what happened after Milo shot and killed August Moriarty. I thought the mystery didn't have as much umph as it could have. The reveal was quick, and not completely satisfying.

4th and final in series
Brittany Cavallaro's writing style is so wonderful. She captures the voices and personalities of both Jamie and Charlotte brilliantly (especially Charlotte), so when they switched chapters back and forth between the two... I loved it. I could get lost in a book completely told by Charlotte. Charlotte's history in the school and her relationship with her parents growing up broke my heart. Some words, you can't take back.

Overall, great characterization, great narrative, great escalation, and a solid mystery. I am eager to begin the final book in the series. Four out of five stars (29/100).

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...