Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Queen Song by Victoria Aveyard

"Queen Song" by Victoria Aveyard is the novella set prior to book one of the Red Queen series. This story tells us about the the young Coriane (Cal's mother), meets, courts, falls in love with, and marries the crown prince (aka soon to be king) Tiberias and her decent into madness bringing about her unfortunate demise.

I rated this novella 2.5 out of 5 stars. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great or necessary. I think anyone that has read this series could guess who the evil mastermind is. That was part of the reason for the lower rating. The other is that I read this series between September and December of 2019 and I for the life of me couldn't recall anything about all of the books that I read. It's still pretty empty. Cal (which I only remembered from this novella), Norta (sounded familiar), and Silvers/Reds (which I also got part way through this read). Part of this is not the story though, it's my memory.



Ultimately in reading order, I think it's better to read the main books and then the additional novellas added later. PS. This cover is absolutely breath-taking!

Do you have a favorite fantasy series? What makes it unique through your eyes?

6 comments:

  1. You have a very interesting blog and I've enjoyed reading it. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. If you were stuck on a deserted island with only one book, what would it be?

      Delete
    2. I'm tempted to write some sort of desert island survival guide... but The Art of Peace. Closely beating On The Road and Ishmael. And you?

      Delete
    3. That’s tough. I read so many good books. Two years ago, I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the first time and it was so delightful. I’ve been itching to reread it, and I am not a rereader. And I’ll fight that it’s one book versus three! :)

      Delete
    4. LOTR is very good. I suppose on a deserted island we'd live inside our minds and could use the time well. I would like it. You are interesting, it's refreshing.

      Delete
    5. I don't think a deserted island is the only place we live inside of our minds. I find sometimes the need to step away and remind myself that reality is out there too and I have a life to live. I have heard of all three of your book choices but haven't read any of them yet. :)

      Delete

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...