Thursday, February 6, 2020

Despite Popular Belief...

It's still only Thursday. And since I didn't finish reading a book today, we're going to do a quick 10 minute free write (no corrections) for the blog post tonight because all I really want to do is read "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas. Without further ado, let's set the timer and go because I have a feeling I'll be talking about this more.

I'm sure that I am not the only one that thought that yesterday was Thursday and today was Friday even after repeatedly correcting myself. Here we are at the end of the actual Thursday and it feels like tomorrow is Sunday. I blame the nap I took this afternoon for at least part of my confusion.

If you don't know me, on Thursday and Fridays I will only work 4-6 hours a day because I had worked three ten hour shifts Monday through Wednesday. I worked until noon today. I had high hopes of doing a TON of reading and part of that was to read "A Question of Holmes" by Brittany Cavallaro in one sitting. I got nearly halfway finished before my body told me that it was actually time to go take a nap.

I took myself and my dog (okay so she just followed me, I didn't actually "take" her anywhere) and we climbed into bed. She of course took up Steve's side and most of the middle and generously gave me a tiny sliver on my side of the bed. What a good girl. We fell asleep around 1:30. We woke up many times in the interim due to phone calls and texts but decided to stay in bed. It was warm. It was comforting. And I knew that this rest was needed.

I didn't fully wake up until Steve called at a few minutes before five. Whoops. I probably should have set an alarm. I still felt pretty crummy after waking up but as the hours have progressed, I am doing a lot better. I am surprisingly feeling like I could sleep again soon which is great since I need to be up at 5am tomorrow.

The biggest thing I noticed was that I really didn't feel like writing anything. This happens sometimes, but I've found that when I feel that way, that usually means that I need to be writing. Despite my absolute infatuation with "The Count of Monte Cristo," I decided to do a quick free-write so that I can keep with my writing something every day. Even now, I keep glancing to my make-shift table next to the couch (it's a folding chair) and looking at my book with my 'Silence Please' book mark for Bodlean Library when I was in Oxford a few months ago. It's calling to me. I've never read this story before and I have somehow missed all of the spoilers and it's legit all I want to do.

I've got some decisions coming up that I'm going to take the weekend to focus on. One of the main things that I'm learning is that there is too much for me to do (that I want to do) and not enough time to complete everything. I need to figure out what my priority list is and then make some hard decisions. Ultimately, I think that they will be a very good thing overall for the course of the rest of the year, and figuring them out now, in February is much better than realizing in September that changes need to be made.

My biggest issue is the one thing that is the most important to me keeps getting pushed aside for other things and I'm not taking the time it needs or deserves. I'm sure part of it is fear. Fear that if I start that I will need to hold myself accountable. Fear that if I make the commitment to it, that I will need to follow through. And in order to follow through, I will absolutely need to make some changed that will likely involve me reading less than I do... and I absolutely LOVE my reading time.

The ten minutes are over. I hope you all have an amazing Friday. Tomorrow. Because I totally know what day it is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...