Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Twisted Twenty-Six by Janet Evanovich

The year was 2019, and I read the first 25 books in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. This is a series that my mom has read for years. I wanted to have something else that she and I could talk about so last year I tackled the series (on audio book).

Book 26 was released while I was in Europe, so after I got home, I put it on hold through the Libby App through my local library. I listen to this series on audio book because I really enjoy listening to the narrator, Lorelai King. I think she voices Stephanie and the entire cast very well.

Here's the thing about this book series: It's all be done before, many times, and better. Evanovich has a cookie cutter formula for her Stephanie Plum novels, and it works for her (even if it is predictable). What we basically learned in book one through 26: Stephanie Plum is a not great bounty hunter. She can't decide between the two men in her life. Her Grandma Mazur is a riot. Even though everything has literally been done before, I still enjoy these books. They are light, mildly funny, and they are familiar to me. I spent several years of my youth in Jersey, so that part is a little bit about bringing myself home.

Janet Evanovich
The big cliff hanger from book 25 ended within the first few sentences of the new book. Disappointing as the prior book actually had me super invested in coming back thinking more was going to happen. We have our big story arch with the missing keys and Grandma's now deceased husband. In the middle of things we have a few skips Stephanie and Lula catch, and a ton of donuts and cookies were consumed. Grandma gets kidnapped (again) and so does Stephanie (again). What did I learn about this book? That when necessary, Stephanie can drive a cement truck down the road at 80 miles per hour. Because I still enjoy the familiar, I rated this three stars out of five. I'm sure I will put the next one on hold through my library this November when 27 is released (just a guess, it's been November every year for years).

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...