Thursday, January 30, 2020

The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater

It has been said that all good things must come to an end. I have said so must things that you know were good, but you didn't fully connect with. Let me preface the rest of my review with my rating of the final installment in the Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater. This book scored a four out of five stars.

Blue, Gansey, Noah, and Ronan's story comes to a breaking point as the mystery of Glendower and Cabeswater are resolved. We also discover the true meaning behind the psychic reading that has been haunting Blue for most of her life.

I felt the Glendower reveal was anti-climatic. Stiefvater spent the better part of four novels building the mythology around this ancient sleeping king, and I was let down by the reveal.

The biggest surprise came by all that Ronan had created once you are able to look back to the very first novel.

Ultimately; however, I think that Maggie Stiefvater has a brilliant imagination. I just don't think this series was the right fit for me. It was very good, no question. I rated the series as a whole four out of five stars. I'm older than the age range this was intended for, and I'm guessing that is what was missing out for me. If I had read this as a teen, I have a feeling my reaction would have been much different.



No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...