Friday, January 31, 2020

The January Wrap Party

As in every year, January seems to last about four months. I put a lot on my plate as far as goals, and overall am very pleased with how the month has turned out. Because there is more positive than negative, I'm going to talk about my failures before my successes.

The only aspect of my monthly goals that I failed was my journey with 75 hard. The rules were simple: 2 45 minute workouts a day (one being outside), 1 gallon of water, 10 pages of self development book, stick to a pre-determined meal plan, and a daily progress selfie. A couple weeks ago, my husband and I had an unplanned cheat meal and I didn't finish my water for the day.

Whoops. Life happens. Mistakes happen. When you fail at this program you're supposed to start over again; however, I have decided not to. I'm still doing most of the requirements; however, I am just making them a part of my life instead of creating a finish line. My life has been happier since. The best thing I got out of this experiment was daily reading of self development books. I read Gretchen Rubin's "Better than Before" and have recently started reading through "The Art of War for Writers" by James Scott Bell. I am so excited to finally be reading writing books as it is absolutely expanding my mind and desire to continue to write.

Now, for the successes, and there are a few. At the beginning of the month I talked a bit about planting flowers, the concept of practicing positive self-talk/love. It wasn't a perfect month especially where my day job is concerned; however, the rest of my life has been on the up. I am learning to appreciate the small things that I do that are not only a positive in my own life, but in those around me. I have given myself the space and grace to pursue writing as an imperfect experience in order to fulfill lifelong dreams. But allowing myself the grace to make mistakes, I find myself more active in my writing environment and I look forward to continuing to water those flowers into bloom.

Writing is present in multiple ways. For starters, I've blogged everyday this month and in a lot of ways it has been easy. I find myself planning ahead and scheduling posts which allows me more freedom in my days. I have my Lead for my novel and will beginning free writing scenes to learn more about her personality and the journey she will be embarking on this year. Reading has also greatly enhanced both my ability and desire to write. I read and see examples of what I want to do (and what I don't want to do). I am looking forward to doing more writing exercises to develop myself and by practicing daily, I feel my growth as both a person and as a writer. This delights me. Heck, I've even got my short fan fiction planned for Alice's birthday in May. I am well on my way to achieving my goals for this year.

The biggest surprise for me in the month of January is how much I read. If you have been following along, or if we're friends on Good Reads (find me @ Shethinks23), then you know that in the month of January, I read 27 books. No, there is no typo there. I cannot even tell you how I managed this (well okay, audio books during my workouts/puppy walks), reading before work, after work, and before bed, but I also managed to work a full time job and live my life well.

This year, it is my desire to not only tackle my TBR (to be read) list from my home library, but to continue/get current or finish series' that I've started either this year or prior years. Below you will see the books that I've read this month, and tomorrow you will be my February 2020 TBR list, which is going to be slightly different due to a MASSIVE classic I plan on reading. Because when I read classics, I read so slowly. I know it's hard to believe after the month I've had, but trust me... it's true! If you look back at my January 2020 TBR list, it will show that I read every single book on that list. YAY ME! :)

Favorite book of January 2020: Becoming by Michelle Obama
Favorite series of January 2020: The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop
Least favorite book of January 2020: Based on ratings, probably both novella's by Victoria Aveyard; however, probably The Path Made Clear by Oprah Winfrey mostly because it just wasn't what I was hoping it to be.

Books read (in order) for January 2020

1. Becoming by Michelle Obama
2. Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels, #1) by Anne Bishop
3. Wildflower by Drew Barrymore
4. The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose by Oprah Winfrey
5. Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher
6. Shockaholic by Carrie Fisher
7. Postcards from the Edge by Carrie Fisher
8. The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher
9. Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2) by Anne Bishop
10. Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3) by Anne Bishop
11. The Elite (The Selection, #2) by Kiera Cass
12. Queen Song (Red Queen, #0.1) by Victoria Aveyard
13. Steel Scars (Red Queen, #0.2) by Victoria Aveyard
14. The One (The Selection, #3) by Kiera Cass
15. Dare to Lead by Brene Brown
16. The Heir (The Selection, #4) by Kiera Cass
17. The Crown (The Selection, #5) by Kiera Cass
18. The Prince (The Selection, #0.5) by Kiera Cass
19. The Guard (The Selection, #2.5) by Kiera Cass
20. Better than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives by Gretchen Rubin
21. The Favorite (The Selection, #3.5) by Kiera Cass
22. The Dream Theives (The Raven Cycle, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater
23. The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, #1) by Melissa Albert
24. The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton
25. Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater
26. Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26) by Janet Evanovich
27. The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4) by Maggie Stiefvater



If you've made it this far in my blog, hi! I hope you're doing well. How are your goals going? Are you making progress? What has been the biggest challenge? Your biggest success? Please remember that goals are not set in stone. You can adjust them at any time. Your desires change. The amount of free time you have in a day can change. Your dreams can change. Goal setting is ultimately about making a plan and achieving your dreams. If things are not jiving right, redo the goals, but never give up on the desires of your heart.  You are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...