Sunday, January 12, 2020

Queen of the Darkness by Anne Bishop


Mother night! If you don't know what that means, you probably haven't read this trilogy before, and that's a shame. Let me tell you, 1204 pages of epic dark fantasy and it wasn't enough. The final installment of the Black Jewels Trilogy (and the trilogy as a whole) has earned a five out of five star rating.

There are so many themes that run deep within these darkened pages such as love, loyalty, cruelty, war, and slavery to name a few. These books definitely contain triggers for those that have sensitivities to excessive violence and rape (it wasn't described in extreme detail; however, still not a pleasant... nor should it be).

The world was was built with just enough detail to give me an idea of what this fantasy world looks like; however, leaves the perfect amount to the imagination to let your mind run wild. No two worlds are the same. I really enjoyed the colored jewel caste system and the colored winds for travel.


To nitpick, I feel as though for how long it took two characters to get finally be in the right places emotionally to be together, that it left one lacking. I am fascinated with the kindred and love the additional elements they bring to heighten the fantasy world. I would have also loved the story about how Lucivar met Marion.

I love stories that have a strong female lead. Everything that Jaenelle went through and the choices that she had to make were nothing short of incredible.



Over the past couple of years I have started to dip my toes into the world of fantasy, and I've got to say, I'm really loving my journey. I will definitely read more from this author and the fantasy genre. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...