Monday, January 13, 2020

The Elite by Kiera Cass

It's been months since I read the first book in The Selection series and I am so glad I am back. "The Elite" is book two in the series and is focused on the remaining six young women from the original cast of 36. Readers have called this a cross between "The Hunger Games" series and the television show "The Bachelor." I've never watched "The Bachelor"; however, I understand the premise, and I think that is an accurate description.

We have the dystopian world that is what remains of the United States after World War IV with a numbered caste system and a king and queen for rulers instead of a presidency. There are Northern and Southern rebels that have an unknown agenda but continue to attack the palace. That is the Hunger Games portion. The Bachelor aspect has to do with the girls that apply to be a part of what is called "the selection" in order to be in the running to be princess, and to marry the handsome Prince Maxon.




The stakes have been raised in this second novel as the threat of rebel attack is ever present as well as the elimination of girl after girl. I both appreciate and am annoyed by our protagonist, America. She is fiery, fiercely loyal; however, gets caught up in just a little too much pettiness for my tastes.


Ultimately, this is an easy read and for me is considered the purest definition of a guilty pleasure. There is a love triangle, and in pretty much every aspect, it's pretty annoying; however, it does not deter from my enjoyment of this book. Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

I'm thankful I own the final three books in this series, because I will be starting "The One" tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...