Friday, January 10, 2020

Heir To The Shadows by Anne Bishop

I finished "Heir To The Shadows", book two of Anne Bishop's Black Jewel Trilogy several hours ago, and I am still processing everything. In recent years, thanks to someone I know, have been very skeptical in regards to the second book in any series. For me, the cycle has been broken. I loved this book. Easily five out of five stars.

The main story line of Jaenelle as she grows up, and the young woman she becomes despite all that transpired in the previous book is astonishing. Her relationship with Lucivar as the big guardian brother was brilliantly written.

Throughout the novel, I laughed, cried, was shocked speechless, and left with chills. There is some description of the world, but it is the exceptionally crafted characters that has blown me away. The darkness and inner turmoil Daemon Sadi experiences in his decent into the Twisted Kingdom broke my heart. 

Anne Bishop


The stakes continually get raised as Dorothea and Heckatah are quietly planning the destruction of all that is good in the world. I'm interested to see if Jaenelle's sister will show up again and the dynamics between Jaenelle and Daemon once he returns from a place that no one is meant to escape from.

For dark fantasy, I am really enjoying this trilogy. The writing is clear and engaging. I played "just one more chapter" throughout the entire novel. I will be starting "Queen of the Darkness," the final book in the Black Jewels trilogy tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...