Monday, March 9, 2020

The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

Erin Morgenstern
Y'all, I have been absolutely DREADING writing this review. It's not what you think... because really, how can you review perfection? How can you rate perfection? I'm not sure I know how to put into words everything this book made me feel as I read it. I don't know how to describe the doors that opened up to my dreams about this novel. I cannot complete how I feel, so I will just talk a little bit about my journey with this author.

I first met Erin Morgenstern (not actually) in September of 2011. Her debut novel, "The Night Circus" had released earlier that month, and I was excited. The cover was beautiful and mysterious. The synopsis had me curious and my excitement grew as I began reading the enchanting words.

And then, a chapter in, I was bored. The story left me depressed. Every page took all of my energy just to get through it. It wasn't a bad book... it just didn't have any of the magic I was hoping it would. It was well written. It was creative. It just wasn't for me at that time in my life. I'm still toying with the idea of reading it again just to see if my opinion has changed on the subject.

I don't read up on books. I don't typically track when they are getting released (aside from the latter part of Harry Potter, I've never pre-ordered a book). Where did I first see "The Starless Sea"? Steve and I were in Mr. B's Emporium of Reading Delights in Bath, England. It was our second day in the city, and the world made sense. The air was crisp, the sky was shining blue, autumn was in full swing and I was four days into my first European vacation. We had to take cobblestone alleys to find this store and it was an absolute delight. Four floors that turned into a maze of books.

"The Starless Sea" was on a display table near the door the first of the winding rooms. The cover was stunning. I can still remember reverently picking the book up, stroking its spine, and gently paging through the words. I read the synopsis and I was spell bound. I was spell bound; however, I managed to put the book down. We went back the next day. I did the same. The only reason I didn't walk out the door with a copy was because of how "The Night Circus" turned out for me. This was November 12-13, 2019.

There were several occasions when we were back in the states that I've seen this book. I've gone into stores and just hugged the book. I have never done that with any other book to my recollection. I ended up getting it around Valentine's Day but I didn't read it right away. I knew from Alice's experience that if I was going to read it, I needed to devote the time to finish the 512 pages. I didn't have the time yet.

A few weeks passed, and directly after Alice had finished reading it herself I picked the book up. I was instantly fascinated. I wanted to eat, breath, and sleep "The Starless Sea" until it was finished, and I also wanted to slow down to make it last forever. I have a feeling you know exactly what I am talking about.

I'm not going to try to describe the book or how it changed my life. My journey getting to the door that is "The Starless Sea" is the only important part. I got there, I turned the knob, and my life will forever be changed.

This book exists beyond a rating system, because five stars is not nearly enough. Maybe if I had them all (the stars) to give, then it would come close... maybe. I cannot count this book toward the comparison of others, because all would fall short.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...