Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Heartless by Marissa Meyer

I have never been a HUGE fan of Alice in Wonderland. I liked the cartoon well enough and didn't like either of the Johnny Depp versions of the story. I'm a little shocked that I haven't read the original story; however, I have the basics down.

"Heartless" by Marissa Meyer was recommended by my friend Melissa and I decided to give it a try. This is an Alice in Wonderland retelling focusing on the Queen of Heart's origin story. I've had this book in my home library for a long time and kept postponing reading it (no reason in particular). After I failed to bring this book with me to the United Kingdom, I decided that there was no better time to read it than February, the month of hearts and love. Isn't it ironic... don't you think?

The first few chapters were quite slow; however, I liked how Meyer incorporated baking into the story. Catherine (eventual Queen of Hearts) was instantly relatable and I loved her relationship with Mary Ann. Her parents pissed me off and the King of Hearts is insanely pitiful. The story was slow until Jest entered the picture and I shipped him and Catherine SO hard.

Marissa Meyer
I knew something massive needed to happen to get Catherine to the Queen of Hearts we all know; however, how it happened was swift and without remorse and it shook me. I didn't think Meyer was going to be able to get Catherine to the Queen of Hearts level; however, she did it brilliantly.

I LOVED this book. Five out of five stars. Highly recommend to all that like/love the world of Alice. If you're "eh" about it, it's still a good story. If you're my Alice, I've tried a few times and you've passed so I will leave it be.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...