Monday, January 20, 2020

The Crown by Kiera Cass

"The Crown" by Kiera Cass is the book end of The Selection series (Although there is a full length companion book called "Happily Ever After" and two novella #0.5 and #2.5 are also available). I rated this book four out of five stars. I will talk about the series as a whole after I have finished Happily.

In the wake of Eadlyn's mother's heart attack, and her father (the king) decides to say by her side, Eadlyn, even with all of her other duties, becomes reagent queen while her mother's life is in balance. If being interim queen wasn't enough, Eadlyn still needed to settle on a husband and winner of the selection.

I think the tension from outside forces was pretty non-existent, and that was something that had previously interested me. I wanted to know the people of the former castes not just the royals. Those outside stories mattered and they only touched on them briefly.

What I liked the most is that I wasn't 100% sure who Eadlyn was going to pick for at least the first half of the book. At the beginning of "The Heir" I instantly rolled my eyes and wondered if this was going to be enemies to lovers story between her and Kyle, where the love of her life is right under her nose; however, how focused they became on Kyle's desire to get out of the palace and implementing his talents with architecture.

Cookie cutter isn't the word I am looking for; however, by the end of the novel, it seems that Eadlyn gets all sorts of happily ever afters, and although this is a novel and fantasy... it still feels super unrealistic. Bad guy out witted. She gets to be queen and marry the one she loves. All is right with the world. Happy. Happy. Happy.

Don't get me wrong, I still loved it. I think the later half of the series really hones in on true emotions and there were lots of times where my heart strings were pulled tight that a tear or two slipped from my eyes. Another quick read, but quite enjoyable overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...