Tuesday, January 21, 2020

The Prince and The Guard by Kiera Cass

I read both novella's from The Selection series today. "The Prince" is considered to be book number 0.5 and "The Guard" is considered to be book number 2.5. Both novellas earned a 3.5 rating out of five.

In "The Prince" we follow Maxon prior to and until the first encounter with America out on the gardens shortly after the selection begins. I found the brief look into Maxon's home life prior to 35 girls moving in trying to win his heart to be interesting. I would have liked more between him and King Clarkson too. We know his level of evil, but seeing their interactions and how Clarkson manipulated made for an intriguing story.

I knew "The Guard" would be about Aspen Ledger; however, I thought it was going to be how he fell in love with Lucy, and I suppose, in a small way it did toward the end. It was mostly about Aspen's life as a guard, how he helped Marlee and Carter after the beatings, and how he fell out of love with America... or how he saw her falling in love with Prince Maxon. The story was good, and even though it was short it felt a little long.

I've always been team Maxon, so I preferred his story to Aspen's.

One more book in the series to go! Just kidding. I found another novella called "The Favorite". I guess I have two more to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...