Sunday, January 5, 2020

Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop

I was utterly enthralled with "Daughter of the Blood" by Anne Bishop this evening and knew there would be no sleep until it was finished. Which is why, on a work night where I have to get up at five in the morning, I'm sitting in my living room, the only light is the harsh glow of my laptop screen. Silence surrounds me except for the soft ticking of our clock. It's been less than five minutes since I've finished the book and I am still lost in the shadows.

This is a dark fantasy with all of the adult themes you would expect; however, Bishop weaves a very different web in this world. The leaders are women. There is a jeweled caste system. There are realms, there is hell, and an abyss that stretches beyond our imaginations.

As the first book in a trilogy, there is a lot of world building, character development, and setting up the story. That being said, aside from a few pages in the beginning, I was never lost. This world made sense. The read was surprisingly quick, and yet it felt whole (and made me want more immediately). I haven't read a ton of fantasy, but if there is more like this out there, I'm in.

I love when books can draw me in so much that the rest of reality fades away. That is exactly what "Daughter of the Blood" did for me. Getting lost in stories brings so much joy to my heart. I was shocked and surprised, elated and disgusted time and time again.

An excellent second read of the year and another five star rating. This was also book one in the BBC (Badassery Book Club) 2020 list! Strong, strong, start.

**Additional note**

I picked up (via the Libby app) multiple audio books from Carrie Fisher that I will tackle this week adding to my January 2020 TBR list. Yay! I think reading 100 books this year is going to be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...