Monday, January 6, 2020

Wildflower by Drew Barrymore



The first movie most of us saw Drew Barrymore in was ET. I don't have crazy fan feels for the film. Probably because I only watched it once and I was a kid. I think I would like to revisit this particular movie and see how it translates in my adulthood.

The movies that really captivated my attention and adoration for Drew Barrymore were "Ever After" and "Never Been Kissed". I really enjoy retellings of Cinderella. I thought the acting and cinematography was absolutely stunning. "Never Been Kissed," was two fold: 1) Drew, of course and 2) Michael Vartan. I didn't see the movie until after I had started watching Alias, and his... acting skills are what made me want to watch the film. If you know what I mean. Look, I was twenty. Whatever.

I've never been big on learning about a celebrity's personal life; however, throughout the years you hear things even when you don't want to. I heard bits and pieces of Drew Barrymore's wild child days, but not much else about her life.







Through the Nashville Public Library's Libby app, I spent the last two days listening to Drew Barrymore narrate her book Wildflower (published October 25, 2015). I think the best way to describe this book would be as a collection of short stories from her life. It does not go in chronological order and it was a little jarring going from baby Drew to Drew having babies, back to being on the set of ET.
I appreciated her unique voice and dramatic performance with her stories, but I legit tore my airpods out of my ears when she started screaming. She does this more than once. Overall, I really enjoyed the stories about life on the set, her dogs, her girls, and her journey to becoming a successful entrepreneur. She had to overcome a lot of obstacles to become the woman she is today, and I appreciate her even more now knowing all that she has been through. Four out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...