Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Steel Scars by Victoria Aveyard

"Steel Scars" by Victoria Aveyard is considered a novella set before the first book in the Red Queen series. This story gives us a background on Farley and how she eventually connects with Mare Barrow, the protagonist of Red Queen.

I scored this a 2.5 out of 5 stars. I probably should have rated it lower too. It's not that it was bad, because it wasn't, but it wasn't good enough to want to read any more. This novella was very military focused and apparently that is seriously NOT my thing. The secret missives that never seemed to end bored me from start to finish. If I were more invested in the story, then maybe I would want to take the time to try to decipher them. As it stands, I'm glad I read it, and I am glad it is gone.

Of all the stories in the Red Queen world, this was my least favorite. I am very happy to move on from this series, probably for good. "Broken Throne" is a collection of three novels coming out in April and I just can't think of anything that might spark my interest. Maybe Maven... Maybe Cal... Maybe not. I think I'm done and that is okay.



What I am currently reading:

"Dare to Lead" by Brene Brown
"More than This" by Gretchen Rubin
"The One" by Kiera Cass

What is upcoming over the next couple of weeks:

Finishing up The Selection series by Kiera Cass (2 books)
Finishing up The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater (3 books)
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton
The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert

Current Podcasts being listened to by me:

http://www.chipperish.com
David Tennant Does a Podcast with... by David Tennant
Awegasm by Chipperish Media

Current Writing Projects:

Novel brain storming planned for the next couple of months. Now that I have my protagonist's name, I can start building her world.

Upcoming goals:

Join a writing/writers group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...