Thursday, March 28, 2019

Rainy Days

Here's how my thirty minute writing session went:

1) Write words.
2) Watch video.
3) Check timer.
4) Start poem.
5) Check timer.
6) What's for dinner?
7) Write another verse.
8) Check timer.
9) Write about what inspired poem.
10) Timer goes off.

My mind had been focusing a lot on the sun and stars lately. At night, from my back deck, I can see into our galaxy, and it is beautiful. This is what came out of those thoughts (in no way is this a complete list, just a few things off of the top of my head):

Sun: Warm sun. Smoldering. Vitamin D. Survival. Ray of Light. Madonna. Cher. Focus. Life. Growth. Warmth. Good. Goodness. Guidance. Creator of shade. Day. Bright. Cheery. Solar. Solar Eclipse. Solar rays. Heat wave. Vibes. 

Moon: Cool. Shadowed. Mysterious. Cheese. Anti-gravity. Darkness. Dark side. Werewolves. Remus Lupin. Harry Potter. Prisoner of Azkaban. I need to read that series again. Howling. Danger. Night. Sneaking. Fear. Reflection of the sun. Lunar. Lunar Eclipse. Cold. Smooth. Craters. Assistant. Love. Romance. Romantic. Tides.

Stars: Billions. Like our sun. Dying. Meteor shower. Shooting star. Twinkle. Glimmer. Glitter in the sky. Guidance. 

Clouds: Soft. Billowy. Pillowy. Dark. Looming. Dangerous. Storm watcher. Storm brewer. Keeper of rain. Instigator. Marshmallows. Reflective. Hidden symbols. 


Rainy Days
© Kay Marie 2019

The greying clouds hang low against the mountain side. 
Weaving in and out of the tree line.
Spread thing, veiled in mystery, they are the secret keepers.
The air is moist and the clouds gather and swell, 
until they are ready to burst.
The anticipation is unbearable, and then,
one tiny droplet of joy quickly followed by another.
Thunder rumbles throughout the valley,
and the earth trembles. 
From inside, a fire crackles within the hearth.
Fat drops splattering against the tin roof.
Both creating ethereal meditative music,
filling my soul with a renewed and sparked energy.
A hope for things to come.
Lightening strikes, revealing the illusion.
I blink and glance out of the window.
Sun comes shining in, bright and intrusive.
Overwhelming.
I turn away and shut my eyes,
praying for my happy place.
My favorite. 
My rainy days.



Earlier today I was reflecting on the walk with my dog Kaylee. The temperature was perfect (for me), the sunshine was glorious, and the breeze was perfect. The only problem: I was missing my favorite weather, the rain. It especially brought back memories of living in Oregon at the base of Mt. Hood. We lived in a tiny town with one traffic light. We were the cliché. If you blink, you miss it. 

I thrive on the peace that nature brings. As much as I hated it as a child, I was really fortunate to grown up on 'the mountain'. I never felt as alive as I would simply sitting down by the river under the bridge, listening to the water than the wind rustling through the trees. Putting my feet in the ice cold Salmon River and soaking up the sun--or how quickly the weather could change. So many times getting stuck under the bridge because of an unexpected rainstorm. 

Those were the days of my youth, and I so desperately hope that they will also be a part of my future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's hard to keep up when you read too much...

 I'm always so gun-ho at the beginning of the year. I make big plans and set lofty goals and inevitably, I miss a day or two and then gi...